This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a male who has been informed of a prognosis of only several months before ... (Read 12 times)

Sufayan.ah

A nurse is caring for a male who has been informed of a prognosis of only several months before death. He wants to return to his home with hospice care. He has a wife and two daughters who do not support this decision.

Which of the following communication principles should guide the nurse during this family situation? 1. A nurse guides families by staying focused solely on the patient's needs and wishes.
  2. Families need to be informed that they are unable to provide the quality care needed in the home.
  3. Exploring the family's beliefs about hospice, death, and their role can help families make decisions.
  4. Helping family members understand the benefits of a patient dying at home produces the best outcomes.

Question 2

Julie is a 42-year-old wife and mother who has recently experienced a mastectomy for breast cancer. The nurse enters the room to check vital signs and sees tears in the eyes of Julie and her husband.

Which of the following statements by the nurse reflect accurate understanding of approaches to communication in a therapeutic relationship? 1. I know this is a difficult time for you and your family. It is probably best if we wait and talk about your concerns when you a little stronger.
  2. I think it will be helpful if you both remain hopeful and stay focused on the positive.
  3. I know this is a stressful time for you; would you like to visit with the chaplain?
  4. You seem to be troubled, which is understandable. In what ways can I be the most helpful to you at this time?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Sweetkitty24130

Answer to Question 1

Feedback
1 At times the nurse guides a family by helping a family understand the unique needs and wishes of the entire family. This often helps resolve family conflicts and increase awareness of multiple perceptions in a family.
2 Taking the approach of telling a family the action to take limits their choices and support for a decision.
3 Examining families' beliefs is important to family decision-making. The unique beliefs of the family members must be explored for a family to reach consensus.
4 At times a family member's choices related to end-of-life care are best met at home, and at other times they are best met by the health-care system.

Answer to Question 2

Feedback
1 Waiting to talk about concerns may not be the family's choice. It may be difficult to have patient and husband focused on this topic in the future.
2 Encouraging a family to stay hopeful and positive does not acknowledge their current experience.
3 Referring the family to the pastor may not match their spiritual needs, and the chaplain may not have the information they need at this time.
4 Calling attention to their distress acknowledges their experience. Allowing the family to indicate their priority concerns at this time and offering assistance in the area the family chooses allows them to direct the conversation. This statement allows the family to gain trust in the nurse.

Sufayan.ah

Reply 2 on: Jul 7, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

tuate

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library