Author Question: The nurse manager has several tasks that need to be accomplished. Which task is the manager likely ... (Read 14 times)

itsmyluck

The nurse manager has several tasks that need to be accomplished. Which task is the manager likely to do first?

1. A large job that holds little interest to the manager
  2. A difficult task that is going to require several days to complete
  3. A task that has been assigned by the supervisor instead of a task that the manager thinks will benefit the unit
  4. A task that will have little impact on the unit

Question 2

Which statements indicate that a nurse manager is using time reactively? Note: Credit will be given only if all correct choices and no incorrect choices are selected. Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. We were so busy yesterday that I did not get the schedule completed.
  2. I knew that we would be busy over the holiday, so I ordered extra supplies.
  3. We have so many new graduates on our unit that our work is never caught up.
  4. I am putting a summary of a research article on the board each week since I realize many of the nurses do not read journals.
  5. I am really concerned about what the nursing supervisor said about our unit. I can't get it off my mind.

cam1229

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: People tend to do small jobs before large jobs and to do interesting things first.
Rationale 2: People tend to do easier things first, especially if they can be completed quickly.
Rationale 3: People tend to respond to the demands of others before demands from themselves.
Rationale 4: People work on the basis of consequences to the group.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Being too busy to get work done is reactive, not proactive.
Rationale 2: The manager knew the unit would be busy and could control lack of supplies by ordering more. This is a proactive statement.
Rationale 3: The manager should predict that new graduates require more time to complete tasks and should plan for that problem.
Rationale 4: The nurse manager knows that nurses need to keep current and also knows that many of the nurses supervised do not read journals. A proactive solution to this problem has been proposed.
Rationale 5: A proactive approach would be to ask the supervisor for clarification about the remark.
Global Rationale: