Author Question: A nurse manager often uses negative reinforcers as part of operant conditioning in order to inhibit ... (Read 18 times)

jho37

A nurse manager often uses negative reinforcers as part of operant conditioning in order to inhibit undesirable behaviors.

What often results from this action? Note: Credit will be given only if all correct choices and no incorrect choices are selected. Standard Text: Select all that apply. 1. The employee ducks into a client room each time the manager is seen.
  2. The undesirable behavior vanishes permanently.
  3. No improvement in the frequency of the undesired behavior is seen.
  4. The employee calls in sick more often.
  5. The manager must constantly monitor the situation.

Question 2

A nursing administrator overhears nurses conversing during a break in a seminar on change.

The administrator would interpret which statement as meaning that the nurse who made it is ready to become a change agent? Note: Credit will be given only if all correct choices and no incorrect choices are selected. Standard Text: Select all that apply. 1. I know that suggesting this change may backfire on me.
  2. I don't expect too much conflict or resistance to this change.
  3. I see an opportunity to make a difference in the way this facility provides nursing care.
  4. I think the status quo is just fine for now.
  5. This change is certainly going to be a challenge, but that's okay.

Laurenleakan

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Avoidance behavior can be a result of use of negative reinforcers.
Rationale 2: The undesirable behavior may go away temporarily, but it often returns.
Rationale 3: Often negative reinforcers, or punishment, do not result in a decrease in the undesired behavior.
Rationale 4: Calling in sick is a way of avoiding the punishment.
Rationale 5: If the manager stops monitoring the situation and does not consistently employ the negative reinforcer, the behavior resurfaces.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: This statement exemplifies the willingness to take risks that is necessary to become a change agent.
Rationale 2: The nurse should always expect that change will be met with resistance and possible conflict.
Rationale 3: Nurses should always look for ways to improve client outcomes.
Rationale 4: Change occurs when people become uncomfortable with the status quo.
Rationale 5: Accepting that change is challenging is part of being a change agent.
Global Rationale: