Author Question: The nursing unit is adopting the self-directed work team model. What benefits are likely to occur ... (Read 17 times)

robinn137

The nursing unit is adopting the self-directed work team model. What benefits are likely to occur because of this decision? Select all that apply.

1. Services will be focused on the patient.
  2. Centralization will create cost efficiency.
  3. Use of small teams of nonprofessional staff led by an RN offers cost savings.
  4. Staff retention and productivity will improve.
  5. Positive patient, staff, and physician satisfaction.

Question 2

What statement, made in the morning shift report, would help an effective manager develop trust on the nursing unit?

1. I know I told you that you could have the weekend off, but I really need you to work.
  2. The others work many extra shifts, why can't you?
  3. I'm sorry, but I do not have a nurse to spare today to help on your unit. I cannot make a change now, but we should talk further about schedules and needs.
  4. I can't believe you need help with such a simple task. Didn't you learn that in school?

bigcheese9

Answer to Question 1

1, 4, 5
Explanation: 1. Self-directed work teams are often associated with patient-centered care.
2. Services will likely be decentralized.
3. This is team nursing, not working on a self-directed work team.
4. This is a benefit of using this model.
5. This is a benefit of using this model.

Answer to Question 2

Explanation: 1. To develop trust, managers who make promises to staff must keep the promise.
2. This statement implies that the staff nurse is not a team player. It also sets up one nurse against the remainder of the staff. Effective managers must be fair and supportive with all staff.
3. This manager is standing up for staff by not allowing another unit to take a nurse today.
4. This statement is belittling to the staff nurse. This attitude does not demonstrate trust that staff performances will be effective.