This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse manager on a medicalsurgical unit spends most of the time during the day on her unit, and ... (Read 39 times)

maychende

The nurse manager on a medicalsurgical unit spends most of the time during the day on her unit, and stays at work longer each day than other nursing managers.

The nurse manager states that there are many unit-specific activities that can be performed only by a nurse manager. This belief is a characteristic of which of the following time management barriers?
  1. Habit
  2. Work expansion
  3. Technology invasion
  4. Underdelegation

Question 2

The nurse manager is involved in activities regarding annual evaluations for staff members. The evaluations are scheduled to be completed in 3 months.

Which of the following statements is the best indicator that the nurse manager will accomplish this goal?
  1. I've set some short-term goals and long-term goals for completing these evaluations.
  2. I've been searching for a new way to perform evaluations with a prettier format.
  3. I treat every task that I have in front of me as equally important. I rank them according to when the task was brought to my attention.
  4. I've been meeting weekly with the nurse managers for coffee to talk about these evaluations.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

shailee

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 4

Rationale: This is an example of underdelegation. This ocurs when the nurse leader does not appropriately delegate and ends up performing more work than is necessary. There are many tasks that can be performed only by a nurse manager, but these tasks usually are performed in their office. If there were many unit-specific activities that could be performed only by a nurse manager, the night shift staff and weekend staff members would be unable to operate the unit without the nurse manager being available, or possibly present, at all times. It is inappropriate and unrealistic to expect the nurse manager to be available or to be present for every shift. Habit can be a barrier to using time well when a process is not thought through carefully and people continue to do something they always have done, even if it is not time-efficient. Work expansion occurs when too much time is allotted to complete a task. Time frames attached to work will provide guidelines. Technology invasion occurs when cell phones or computers act as distractors to work instead of assisting the nurse manager to use time efficiently.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 1

Rationale: When a nurse manager has a task that must be performed in a timely manner, it is most important for the nurse manager to reduce the task down further into short-term and long-term goals. This is a very efficient use of time, and assists the nurse manager when something else takes precedence over the evaluations for a short time. It will be easy for the nurse manager to return to the evaluation tasks with some minor goal alterations. It is not appropriate for the nurse manager to engage in activities to make the evaluations cuter. The evaluations should be efficient to use and easy to understand; they do not need to be cute. This is an example of a nurse manager who has an idea time style. These leaders are very creative but less efficient. It is also important for the the nurse manager to be able to prioritize. Not every task is equally important. It is important for the nurse manager use time wisely and not routinely meet to talk about the evaluations over coffee with other nurse managers, but to begin performing tasks aimed at evaluation completion on the set date.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library