Author Question: The nurse leader is planning for the tasks that must be completed during this week. Which of the ... (Read 26 times)

ec501234

The nurse leader is planning for the tasks that must be completed during this week. Which of the following statements by the nurse manager demonstrates an understanding of time-management skills?

1. I've got to think through this problem before I start trying to solve it.
  2. I should spread similar kinds of tasks out through the day to alleviate boredom.
  3. I'm going to allow 2 hours for the staff meeting, even though I know we could get it done in 1 hour.
  4. I keep my e-mail up all of the time when I'm in my office to allow me to get back quickly to people who e-mail me.

Question 2

The nurse managers are discussing problem-management styles. Which of the following statements by a nurse manager indicates the need for further education regarding problem-management techniques?

1. It's amazing, but some problems just go away all by themselves.
  2. I think it's really important to be able to prioritize to best manage problems.
  3. I believe that when a problem arises, it's important to begin searching for the solution at that time.
  4. Not every problem that presents itself is my' problem.

joewallace

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 1

Rationale: One important time-management skill is to think through a process prior to attempting to find a solution. Much time can be saved by spending an adequate amount of time planning the solution to a problem. It is good to perform similar kinds of tasks at the same time in an attempt to consolidate them and get more work done in the least amount of time. Routine meetings can become traps for work expansion. Time should not be padded to routine meetings. This is a waste of time. These meetings should be kept short by using a timed agenda and a timekeeper. The text indicates that e-mail does not need to be checked more frequently than every 10 minutes. Nurse leaders should attempt to minimize the amount of time they spend checking e-mail. Technology can be helpful, but it can be distracting.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 3

Rationale: Problem analysis is an essential skill for effective nurse leaders. The nurse leader must be able to determine how important the problem is and to prioritize the problem. The nurse leader must understand that not every problem requires an immediate action or solution. Some problems go away without any intervention. Some problems that are identified by the nurse leader are best handled by other people. The nurse leader should not assume ownership of every problem. The nurse leader should use prioritization to help decide how to manage his or her time.