Author Question: Which represents the greatest potential barrier to effective communication? 1. The nurse gives ... (Read 34 times)

justinmsk

Which represents the greatest potential barrier to effective communication?

1. The nurse gives discharge instructions to a couple in their early 80s.
   2. The nurse manager hires a new nurse originally from the Philippines.
   3. The emergency nurse receives a client via ambulance transferred for confusion.
   4. The nurse obtains an admission history from the parents of an adopted child.

Question 2

A nurse has just attended a conference, and is expected to present the highlights to colleagues. As an inexperienced speaker, this nurse is practicing her speech delivery.

Which statement indicates a lack of understanding how easily this communication could be distorted?

1. I know I can better connect with my audience with good eye contact.
   2. If I repeat a complicated point in another way, comprehension can be improved.
   3. The topic is not complicated, so I don't have to worry about misunderstanding.
   4. If I know the background of the audience, it can help me tailor the content.

GCabra

Answer to Question 1

Answer: 3

Rationale: Communication will be most affected by the confusion of the client, because the nurse cannot be sure of anything the client communicates. Just because a person is adopted, elderly, or originally from another country does not automatically represent a communication barrier.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: 3

Rationale: It does not matter how uncomplicated the topic is; misunderstandings and distortions can still occur. Eye contact, repeating the message, and tailoring the message can all assist in keeping the message clear.