This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 21-year-old client informs the nurse that he is not sleeping. The nurse learns that the client's ... (Read 41 times)

Collmarie

A 21-year-old client informs the nurse that he is not sleeping. The nurse learns that the client's girlfriend was killed in a car accident 1 month ago. Which statement would be of most concern to the nurse?

a. I am moving on and plan to start dating again.
  b. It's my fault. I shouldn't have let her go out that night.
  c. I wish I died in the car accident instead of her.
  d. I cannot sleep because I keep reliving the car accident.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client who has just experienced the death of her mother. The nurse best demonstrates support for the client by

a. sitting quietly with the client and not discussing the loss.
  b. reminding the client that her mother lived a long life.
  c. changing the subject so the client won't get upset.
  d. offering spiritual support for the client and family.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

millet

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Complicated grief can appear as an absence of grief in situations where it would be expected. When deaths and important losses are not mourned, the feelings don't just disappear; they reappear in unexpected ways, sometimes years later. Subsequent losses trigger an extreme reaction to a current loss. Complicated grief can result in clinical symptoms such as depression or anxiety disorders that require professional help. Blaming oneself, wanting to take the place of those who dies, and having sleep problems are normal grief reactions that occur in sudden or traumatic situations.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Spiritual support for clients and family should be offered. Sitting quietly with the grieving client is supportive, but the grieving client should be encouraged to talk about the loss. Trite reassurances are not supportive.

Collmarie

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
:D TYSM

ghepp

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library