This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An 89-year-old client recently lost his wife of 69 years to cancer. He reports I had the strangest ... (Read 35 times)

schs14

An 89-year-old client recently lost his wife of 69 years to cancer. He reports I had the strangest thing happen to me last night. I woke up and saw my wife sitting in her chair. The nurse's best response would be:

a. How long have you been hallucinating?
  b. Hallucinations are often caused by disturbance in brain chemicals.
  c. Hearing or seeing things that are not real can be a normal response to extreme stress.
  d. I recommend you speak to your doctor to review your medications.

Question 2

When evaluating care of dying clients, the nurse recognizes that interventions have been unsuccessful if the

a. client does not get past the stage of denial.
  b. client dies in peace surrounded by loved ones.
  c. client dies while experiencing pain.
  d. nurse refuses to allow the client to be sad.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brbarasa

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
In the shock and disbelief phase, a newly bereaved person may feel alienated or detached from normalliterally numb with shock; no tears, no feelings, just absolute numbness. Seeing or hearing the lost person, or sensing his or her presence, is a normal, temporary altered sensory experience related to the loss, which should not be confused with psychotic hallucinations.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The concept of grief describes the personal emotions and adaptive process a person goes through in recovering from loss. Common feelings include sadness and an acute awareness of the void accompanied by recurring, wavelike feelings of sadness and loss. Some clients cope by remaining in the denial stage. This is the client's right. When a client dies in peace surrounded by loved ones, it is evidence of successful interventions. Sometimes a peaceful death is not possible, but that does not mean the intervention was ineffective.

schs14

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Alyson.hiatt@yahoo.com

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library