This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client's spouse becomes anxious and demonstrates hostility toward the nurse. The best response by ... (Read 9 times)

Haya94

A client's spouse becomes anxious and demonstrates hostility toward the nurse. The best response by the nurse is to

a. recognize the spouse feels a sense of control.
  b. view the hostility as a personal attack.
  c. become stoic and refrain from listening to the spouse.
  d. respond empathetically to contributory themes and feelings.

Question 2

A client tells the nurse, I think I'm losing my mind. The best response by the nurse is

a. Tell me what you are experiencing right now.
  b. You should take a nap now; it will help you to feel better.
  c. If you say that you're losing mind, you really will lose your mind.
  d. I don't think you really feel that you are losing your mind.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Sweetkitty24130

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
What a hostile anxious client or family needs most at that momentdespite their behavioris understanding, comforting, and human caring. The nurse should listen, ask, and respond empathetically to contributory themes and feelings. Anger and hostility are the most common stress emotions associated with feeling helpless or psychologically threatened. Recognizing hostility as a cry for help in coping with escalating stress makes it easier to respond empathetically. Most outbursts have little to do with the nurse personally other than that the nurse is available, is the one most involved with the care of the loved one, and is least likely to retaliate.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The nurse should listen carefully and ask gentle, probing questions. A helpful statement can include, Can you tell me what you are experiencing right now? This listening response allows the client to put concerns into words. The nurse should allow clients to be in charge of areas and issues that are not at odds with a treatment protocol, and helping clients discover the real causes of their frustration can reduce stress through direct action. Clients experiencing stress should be given the opportunity to express their feelings, thoughts, and worries. Crying, anger, and magical thinking are normal reactions to situations that one cannot control. Acknowledging the legitimacy of feelings as a normal response to an abnormal situation reinforces the client's self-integrity and helps the client put boundaries on their anxiety.

Haya94

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bulacsom

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library