This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching an unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) on potential approaches for dealing ... (Read 19 times)

Frost2351

The nurse is teaching an unlicensed assistive personnel (UAP) on potential approaches for dealing with difficult clients. The nurse recognizes that additional teaching is required when the UAP states

a. I will be assertive by conveying my irritation toward the client's behavior.
  b. I will collaborate with staff so we all use the same uniform approach when responding to the client's demands.
  c. I will promote trust in the client by providing immediate feedback.
  d. I will explain to the client the limits of my role as an UAP.

Question 2

When interacting with the nurse, a client makes several condescending remarks directed toward the nurse. The nurse recognizes this behavior as an example of

a. the use of humor.
  b. active listening.
  c. a verbal clue to anger.
  d. assertiveness.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joanwhite

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Potential approaches for dealing with difficult clients include using a calm tone and avoiding conveying irritation. Potential approaches for dealing with difficult clients also include: working with staff so all use the same uniform approach to the client's demands; promoting trust by providing immediate feedback; and explaining the limits of one's role.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Nonverbal clues to anger include grimacing, clenching jaws or fists, turning away, and refusing to maintain eye contact. Verbal clues by a client may, of course, include use of an angry tone of voice, but they may also be disguised as witty sarcasm or as condescending or insulting remarks. The client's remarks are condescending, not humorous. The client's remarks are verbal, not nonverbal. Use of condescending remarks is an example of passive-aggressive communication.

Frost2351

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Wow, this really help

Dinolord

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library