This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client yells at the nurse frequently and uses profane language. Which of the following is the most ... (Read 24 times)

Sportsfan2111

A client yells at the nurse frequently and uses profane language. Which of the following is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

a. Remain silent and do not respond
  b. Use an I statement when speaking to the client
  c. Tell the client, You make me angry.
  d. Ignore the behavior and walk away

Question 2

A client states to the nurse in a hostile voice, I am sick of being poked at and stuck with needles. Go away and leave me alone. Which of the following is the best statement by the nurse?

a. I am not surprised that you wish to be left alone.
  b. I'm so sorry you are feeling so upset.
  c. You feel vulnerable and depressed as a result of all these treatments.
  d. Okay, I will go away.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

miss.ashley

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Assertive responses contain I statements that take responsibility. This behavior is in contrast to aggressive behavior, which has a goal of dominating while suppressing the other person's rights. The goal of assertiveness is to communicate directly, standing up for one's personal rights while respecting the rights of others. Conflict creates anxiety, which may prevent one from behaving assertively. Aggressive behavior has a goal of dominating while suppressing the other person's rights. Aggressive responses often consist of you statements that fix blame on the other person. Assertive behaviors range from making a direct, honest statement about one's beliefs to taking a very strong, confrontational stand about what will and will not be tolerated in the relationship.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Validating the anger and reframing are useful. Comments such as, I'm sorry you are feeling so upset, recognize the significance of the emotion being expressed without getting into the cause. I am not surprised that you wish to be left alone validates the client's anger, but does not reframe the situation. The nurse should not make inferences about what the client is feeling without first validating. Okay, I will go away is avoidant behavior by the nurse.

Sportsfan2111

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
Wow, this really help

Hdosisshsbshs

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library