Author Question: The nurse who is returning to school to pursue a baccalaureate degree in nursing states, I don't ... (Read 158 times)

Alainaaa8

The nurse who is returning to school to pursue a baccalaureate degree in nursing states, I don't know why I am putting myself through this. I have practiced just fine for 10 years as an associate degree nurse.

Which strategy, recommended by a friend, would be helpful in overcoming this feeling?
  1. Why don't you take a one semester break from school?
  2. Remember that a lot of people are depending on you.
  3. Just think how much better a nurse you will be when you finish.
  4. Think about all the extra money you will get when you graduate.

Question 2

How does a return to school for a baccalaureate degree affect socialization of practicing nurses?

1. It has little effect.
  2. These nurses regress in socialization back to the pre-nursing levels.
  3. These nurses experience resocialization in many ways.
  4. Resocialization does not occur until the degree is completed.

bookworm410

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3

Reframing the nurse's comment helps to focus on the positive. Just think how much better a nurse you will be when you finish helps the nurse remember the reason for seeking further education. If the nurse takes a break in this frame of mind, returning to school is unlikely. This nurse is already stressed, so focus on the dependence of others on him or her is unlikely to be very comforting. Although there may be some increase in salary associated with the BS degree, it is usually not substantial. Focus on a potential salary change that is not close in time will do little to assist the nurse in this period.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3

Returning to school triggers professional resocialization in registered nurses. These nurses must reassume the student role, must reassess their personal practice, and must begin to identify with those who hold the degree the student seeks. There is no indication that the nurse regresses to pre-nursing levels, as experiences as a nurse have already resulted in initial socialization. Resocialization occurs throughout the education process.