Author Question: The nurse researcher is discussing how to formulate a search strategy prior to starting a literature ... (Read 47 times)

luminitza

The nurse researcher is discussing how to formulate a search strategy prior to starting a literature review. Which statement demonstrates this nurse understands the best way to conduct this activity?

1. I must have my search question fully developed prior to starting this search.
  2. I should focus on MeSH terms as the basic phrases in my search.
  3. It is important to use a variety of options and limiters in my search.
  4. My search question should be as broad as possible in the beginning of the search.

Question 2

Which statement, made by a new nurse researcher, indicates that additional information about grey literature is required?

1. Grey literature has value but is not typically included in literature reviews.
  2. Grey literature may be solid information that never was chosen for publication.
  3. Many government documents are considered grey literature.
  4. Grey literature is not very interesting but can be essential to a research study.

Question 3

The researcher has attempted to avoid secondary sources in the literature review. What is the rationale for this action?

1. Secondary sources are more difficult to read and may be misinterpreted.
  2. Secondary sources consist of only grey literature.
  3. The author of the secondary source may have left out information from the original study.
  4. A secondary source may involve more than one study for comparison.

LVPMS

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The search question will likely develop more fully as the researcher identifies what has already been studied and has seen the results of those studies.
Rationale 2: MeSH terms are only one part of the search terms or phrases that could be used.
Rationale 3: A variety of options and limiters helps to focus the search.
Rationale 4: If the search question is too broad, it may lead the researcher in too many directions.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Grey literature is often included in literature reviews. Additional teaching is necessary.
Rationale 2: The definition of grey literature is that it is not under the control of commercial publishers.
Rationale 3: Government documents are considered grey literature.
Rationale 4: Grey literature can be very interesting and supportive.
Global Rationale:

Answer to Question 3

Rationale 1: Secondary studies are typically easier to read.
Rationale 2: Grey literature is not limited to primary or secondary sources.
Rationale 3: Information may be omitted from secondary sources or information may be interpreted differently than the original researcher.
Rationale 4: A benefit of secondary sources is that more than one study is considered.
Global Rationale: