Author Question: Which statement, made by a nurse researcher conducting a qualitative study, reflects an appropriate ... (Read 70 times)

awywial

Which statement, made by a nurse researcher conducting a qualitative study, reflects an appropriate plan?

1. I will continue to collect data until the date specified in the study design..
  2. I will continue to collect data until there is no new information forthcoming..
  3. I will continue to collect data until I have interviewed 20 individuals..
  4. I will continue to collect data until all the data collected have been validated..

Question 2

There is concern that interest in Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) has contributed to a decline in qualitative studies in nursing. To what is this decline attributed?

1. Nurse researchers are not interested in conducting qualitative research.
  2. Findings of qualitative studies are not applicable to nursing practice.
  3. Qualitative researchers are not communicating strategies for utilizing study findings.
  4. Qualitative research does not examine phenomena of interest to nurses.

Jbrasil

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The qualitative researcher does not set a specific time to discontinue data collection.
Rationale 2: Saturation, or no new information collected, is the hallmark of qualitative studies.
Rationale 3: The qualitative researcher does not specify a number of individuals that will be interviewed.
Rationale 4: The qualitative researcher collects data until no new data are forthcoming, not until all data have been validated.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Nursing's traditional focus is on the individual, which is consistent with qualitative research.
Rationale 2: Nursing's focus is on the individual and the individual's situation, which make the findings of qualitative research very applicable to nursing practice.
Rationale 3: Qualitative research will contribute to EBP when qualitative research communicates study findings and their utilization in nursing practice.
Rationale 4: It is the very phenomena that are of interest to nurses that are examined by qualitative research.