This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A woman who is at high risk for alcohol abuse has just found out that she is pregnant. The nurse ... (Read 66 times)

Mr3Hunna

A woman who is at high risk for alcohol abuse has just found out that she is pregnant. The nurse counsels her about the long-term effects of alcohol on the child. The nurse should include mention of: (Select all that apply.)

A) Down syndrome
  B) Type 1 diabetes
  C) Low IQ
  D) Facial anomalies
  E) Short attention span

Question 2

An older client is seeking a fourth refill on a prescription for benzodiazepines. The nurse is concerned that the client may be developing a tolerance for the drug. Which comment by the client would most confirm this concern?

A) Lately I've had to double up on my dose just for it to be effective.
  B) I ran out of pills a week ago and have felt sweaty and agitated ever since.
  C) I feel like I just can't function without the medicine.
  D) The medicine has been wonderful. I think one more refill should do it for me.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

isabelt_18

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C, D, E
Alcohol use during pregnancy is a serious public health concern because of the multiple deleterious, lifelong effects of alcohol on the child. These lifelong effects include low IQ, hyperactivity, short attention span, distinctive facial anomalies, and structural brain defects. Down syndrome is the result of a genetic defect and is not associated with alcohol use in the mother. Type 1 diabetes is also not associated with alcohol use in the mother.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
Tolerance is the diminished physical and/or psychological response to effects of alcohol or illicit substances. A person develops tolerance when he or she needs to use higher doses of a substance to achieve the desired effect. Withdrawal is reduction in prolonged substance use that results in problematic behavioral, physiological, and cognitive changes. Feeling like one cannot function without a substance is a sign of substance dependence. Praising the medication and requesting another refill could be a sign of substance dependence.

Mr3Hunna

Reply 2 on: Jul 8, 2018
:D TYSM

dreamfighter72

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

Essential fatty acids have been shown to be effective against ulcers, asthma, dental cavities, and skin disorders such as acne.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

For pediatric patients, intravenous fluids are the most commonly cited products involved in medication errors that are reported to the USP.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library