This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: How would a rating scale item be worded? a. I can be alone for hours and not feel lonely: ... (Read 18 times)

CharlieWard

How would a rating scale item be worded?

a. I can be alone for hours and not feel lonely: Strongly Agree, Agree, Undecided, Disagree, Strongly Disagree.
  b. When I walk one block, I feel: (a) healthy and invigorated, (b) no different from the way I ordinarily feel, (c) pleasantly tired, (d) exhausted and out of breath.
  c. Place a vertical line intersecting this line to show what your anxiety is; the scale's ends are 0 for No Anxiety at All, and 10 for The Worst Anxiety I Have Ever Experienced.
  d. Rank your boss from 1 to 7 on the following quality: sensitivitycallousn ess.

Question 2

A Canadian researcher has had a tool published in English. The tool examines the embedded meanings of life in a country that has colonial roots but still maintains allegiance to the mother country.

There is a demand for use of the tool in French-speaking Canadian cities. Which is the type of translation that is most appropriate for this tool?
  a. Pragmatic translation
  b. Aesthetic-poetic translation
  c. Ethnographic translation
  d. Linguistic translation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jayson

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
The Likert scale determines the opinion or attitude of a subject and contains a number of declarative statements with a scale after each statement. A rating scale lists an ordered series of categories of a variable that are assumed to be based on an underlying continuum.
The Visual Analog Scale (VAS) is frequently used in health care research since it is easy to construct, administer, and score. VASs can be administered using a drawn, printed, or computer-generated 100-mm line. The research participant is asked to place a mark through the line to indicate the intensity of the sensation or stimulus. A semantic differential scale consists of two opposite adjectives with a seven-point scale between them.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Four types of translations can be performed: pragmatic translations, aesthetic-poetic translations, ethnographic translations, and linguistic translations. Pragmatic translations communicate the content from the source language accurately in the target language. The primary concern is the information conveyed. An example of this type of translation is the use of translated instructions for assembling a computer. Aesthetic-poetic translations evoke moods, feelings, and affect in the target language that are identical to those evoked by the original material. In ethnographic translations, the purpose is to maintain meaning and cultural content. In this case, translators must be familiar with both languages and cultures. Linguistic translations strive to present grammatical forms with equivalent meanings. Translating a scale is generally done in the ethnographic mode.

Jayson

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

In most climates, 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is recommended for adults. The best indicator for adequate fluid intake is frequent, clear urination.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library