Author Question: I don't understand, the woman said. It's my husband who is the alcoholic, not me. Why are you asking ... (Read 44 times)

fahad

I don't understand, the woman said. It's my husband who is the alcoholic, not me. Why are you asking me to get involved in his treatment? Which of the following is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

a. You are codependent. You will need to learn how to function independently.
  b. You are an enabler covering up for your husband, and you have to learn how not to do that.
  c. You are as ill as he is, just in a different way. You also need treatment.
  d. You have been hurt by his drinking; you will need support as you try to help your husband stop drinking.

Question 2

Everyone is talking about the disaster that has been widely seen on the news programs. Which of the following suggestions would be most appropriate for the nurse to make at this time?

a. That this opportunity should be used to discuss how to be brave in a crisis.
  b. That programs in collaborative problem solving should be created for students and staff.
  c. That the staff should reassure students that such a disaster would not occur here.
  d. That the school should develop an emergency management plan.

Kaytorgator

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The family has suffered the effects of substance abuse emotionally, socially, economically, physically, and spiritually. The family's wounds must be acknowledged and treated for the substance abuser to return to an environment supportive of recovery. Although the wife may be a codependent or an enabler, labeling her will not help her learn to change and help her husband change.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Every school is encouraged to develop an emergency management plan. In fact, many states mandate that schools develop plans to address the potential threat of another terrorist attack or a natural or man-made disaster. It would not be appropriate for the nurse to discuss bravery, student safety should come before bravery. Collaborative problem solving will not help the students be safer should this type of a crisis arise at the school. It is not appropriate to provide the students with reassurance as it is impossible to prevent all of these disasters, rather the school must develop an emergency plan so that they are prepared if this would happen at their school.