Author Question: A nurse is completing a first assessment interview with a family after entering the family's ... (Read 30 times)

Chloeellawright

A nurse is completing a first assessment interview with a family after entering the family's apartment for the first time. Which of the following would be crucial for the nurse to remember?

a. Analyze the power relationships before focusing on needed information
  b. Be on best behavior with manners and courtesy, starting with a self-introduction
  c. Determine as soon as possible who makes decisions within the family
  d. Evaluate the safety of the immediate environment for self and the family

Question 2

I don't understand, a woman said. I know I'm eligible for Medicare part A and it's free. Part B isn't free. When will I ever use it? Which of the following would be the most appropriate response by the nurse?

a. Part A is only for hospital bills. Most care is given on an outpatient basis. Part B pays a large portion of those costs.
  b. Part A is a benefit because you paid into Social Security for more than 10 years. In comparison, part B is optional if you want that additional insurance.
  c. Part B is easy to pay for; they take the cost out of your Social Security check each month.
  d. Researchers have found that people don't waste health care resources if they have to pay a bit for them.

wfdfwc23

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Manners are common social behaviors that set the tone for the interview and begin the development of a therapeutic relationship. The nurse introduces himself or herself by name and title and always addresses the client and family members by name (i.e., Mr., Mrs., or Ms., unless otherwise directed by client).

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
All the responses are true, although the woman may not care about research findings. Further, she may well prefer the money from her Social Security benefit to be paid to her rather than go for additional insurance. However, the reason the woman needs to know why she should pay for part B is that so much care today is given on an outpatient basis, including diagnostic procedures, physicals, speech and occupational therapy, ambulances, durable medical equipment, and some home health care services.