Author Question: Would double majoring in computer science and chemistry help me? (Read 1124 times)

sadsdas

I want to be a doctor so that is where the chemistry came from. But I heard the medical field was not so high in demand so I would want to be a computer engineer? Would that be a wise move?

penguins

The medical field is ALWAYS in high demand, engineering is the much better route though. Pays well, intellectually stimulating, & it's less education time.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

michelleunicorn

Those are two very demanding majors.  It's unlikely that you'll be able to do well in the course work for both majors.  Both fields are in demand.  Choose the one that interests you the most.

asd123

Double majoring wouldn't exactly be helpful. Both fields are not in relevance to each other; it's better to just pursue one. Chemistry would better prepare you medical school, but would not be something you can fall back on if you're rejected from medical school. Computer science would almost guarantee you employment somewhere but does not prepare you for medical school ? other than the math classes you need to take of course.

Currently, there is a deficit in practicing physicians. Why? Medical school is becoming more difficult to get into and more difficult to graduate from.

Right now, double majoring + completing premedical courses are going to be "hell on earth" for you. Both majors are extremely demanding, along with that you're adding several extra difficult courses on top of that. If you follow this route, I guarantee that you will be living in class. Almost everyday you will be in lectures and labs from morning til night non stop.

Here's what your day will look like:

- Courses for both majors. (Minimum of 8hours inside a classroom or lab, constantly learning)
- Clinical volunteering hours that are expected by medical schools. (1-2hours everyday, you will need over 500 hours by time you apply)
- Part time job (3-6 hours)
- Miscellaneous: Food, rest, entertainment (3hours, minimum, unless you plan to eat nothing but instant noodles for the rest of your college life)
- Reviewing notes and doing homework (3 - 6 hours, even more if you have lab reports to finish)

In total thats about 15- 20 hours out of your day excluding a part time job. Add one in and it will be about 24 hours out of your day. *This is without sleep*

Double Science Major + Premed = No sleep, literally.

The better route for you is just declare yourself as computer science major and complete your premedical requirements.  Doubling majoring and doing premed is way too much.

Edit: If you can do this, you can probably become a member of Seal Team 6 and any other tier one special forces unit. Thats how difficult this is.

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library