Author Question: What linguistic variable did Labov (1966) examine in his famous study of language variation in New ... (Read 17 times)

jayhills49

What linguistic variable did Labov (1966) examine in his famous study of language variation in New York City?

A allomorphs of the past tense morpheme
  B postvocalic /r/
  C the use of the passive voice
  D question formation
  E aspirated /p/

Question 2

Which sentence below contains a conceptual metaphor that reveals how English speakers conceptualize time as a valuable commodity?

A I'll meet you there in an hour.
  B Thank you for spending time with me.
  C The movie is two hours long.
  D You should take a nap for a few minutes.
  E I just saw him about thirty minutes ago.

mistyjohnson

Answer to Question 1

B

Answer to Question 2

B

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library