This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After winning the lottery, you state that you are indifferent between receiving twenty 500,000 ... (Read 46 times)

luminitza

After winning the lottery, you state that you are indifferent between receiving twenty 500,000 end-of-the-year payments (first payment one year from today), or a lump sum of 5,734,961 today.

What interest rate are you using in your decision-making process such that you are indifferent between the two choices?
  A) 5.00
  B) 6.00
  C) 7.00
  D) 8.00

Question 2

You have won the lottery and received a check for 1,275,156 today. You invest the lottery check today at an annual interest rate of 8 and allow it to build for a full ten years.

At that point in time, you shift the money to an account paying only 6 per year. You plan to spend 175,000 per year in retirement (assume equal annual end-of-the-year cash flows) for 30 years, and your first retirement cash flow is exactly eleven years from today. Will you have enough money to fully fund your desired retirement? Use a calculator to determine your answer.
  A) Yes, because your investment will allow you to spend up to 225,000 per year in retirement.
  B) No, because your investment will allow you to spend up to only 158,000 per year in retirement.
  C) Yes, because your investment will allow you to spend up to 200,000 per year in retirement.
  D) No, because your investment will allow you to spend up to only 137,000 per year in retirement.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

potomatos

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B
Explanation: B) This is an iterative process (trial and error). Solve using the RATE function in Excel.
MODE = END
INPUT 20 ? -5,734,961 500,000 0
KEY N I/Y PV PMT FV
CPT 6.00

Answer to Question 2

Answer: C
Explanation: C) Calculator Solution for money you will have at the end of 10 years:
MODE = END
INPUT 10 8.0 -1,275,156 0 ?
KEY N I/Y PV PMT FV
CPT 2,752,966.16

Calculator solution for the (present value of) the money you need at the end of 10 years:
MODE = END
INPUT 30 6.0 2,752,966.16 ? 0
KEY N I/Y PV PMT FV
CPT 200,000

luminitza

Reply 2 on: Jul 10, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

alvinum

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library