This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 62-year-old male patient has been prescribed allopurinol (Zyloprim) for the treatment of gout. ... (Read 65 times)

joblessjake

A 62-year-old male patient has been prescribed allopurinol (Zyloprim) for the treatment of gout. When providing health education to this patient about his new medication, the nurse should know that this drug achieves a therapeutic effect by:

A) Interrupting the breakdown of purines
  B) Increasing renal excretion of uric acid
  C) Buffering the presence of uric acid in joints
  D) Inhibiting the inflammatory process

Question 2

A 70-year-old woman with a complex medical history made an appointment with her primary care provider because she has recently been experiencing heartburn, abdominal pain, and nausea.

The clinician has identified that the woman's symptoms are characteristic of acute gastritis. Which of the woman's following statements is suggestive of the etiology of her problem?
  A) I remember my father often complaining about heartburn and indigestion.
  B) I've been taking glucosamine supplements because I've been told they'll help my arthritis.
  C) My endocrinologist recently increased my dose of metformin that I take for my diabetes.
  D) I've changed from taking Tylenol for my arthritis pain to taking aspirin.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dominiqueenicolee

Answer to Question 1

A

Answer to Question 2

D

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library