This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nursing staff on a subacute, geriatric medicine unit of a hospital have noted that Mr. R, an ... (Read 24 times)

jc611

The nursing staff on a subacute, geriatric medicine unit of a hospital have noted that Mr. R, an 80-year-old patient with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, tends to become agitated in the evening and early in the night.

Which of the following nursing actions is most likely to effectively address Mr. R's sundowner syndrome? A) Ensure that Mr. R's room is kept as dark as possible during the times in question.
  B) Limit Mr. R's fluid intake after 17:00 to prevent nocturia.
  C) Minimize the amount of touch used in nursing care to avoid stimulating Mr. R.
  D) Schedule physical therapy and exercise in the afternoon hours to help Mr. R expend energy.

Question 2

The nurse realizes that the patient who has had an abdominal hysterectomy needs further home teaching when she states

a. I understand I can lift anything less than 20 pounds.
  b. I'm leaving today to stay with my daughter, who lives 200 miles away. My husband plans to drive the family car.
  c. The doctor said I can't have sexual intercourse for 4 to 6 weeks.
  d. I'm going to miss wearing my girdle or knee-high hose.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

harveenkau8139

Answer to Question 1

D
Physical activity in the afternoon can help minimize sundowner syndrome in older adults. The environment should not be kept completely dark. Touch can be a useful tool, and fluids should never be withheld or limited in an effort to control behavior.

Answer to Question 2

A
If there has been an abdominal incision, there may be further restrictions on heavy lifting (nothing over 10 pounds).

jc611

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Gracias!

sailorcrescent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library