This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: You are an obstetrical nurse who is providing care for a woman who gave birth by cesarean section a ... (Read 72 times)

bucstennis@aim.com

You are an obstetrical nurse who is providing care for a woman who gave birth by cesarean section a few hours ago. Knowing that the woman is likely to experience pain, you are providing patient education about pain.

Which of the following statements should you include when teaching this patient about pain and about pain management?
  A) When your pain crosses the line between being bearable and unbearable, I'll be able to give you some medication for it.
  B) I'll teach you some techniques that you can use so that you'll be able to avoid using drugs to manage your pain.
  C) When you feel like you're not able to manage your pain on your own, ring your call bell, and I can get you something for pain.
  D) I'll be checking with you often, but please let me know as soon as you're starting to feel pain.

Question 2

A patient, age 61, has had type II diabetes for 20 years. He has symmetrical peripheral polyneuropathy of his feet and legs with almost total loss of sensitivity to touch and temperature.

He also has peripheral vascular disease evidenced by decreased peripheral pulses and dependent rubor. To prevent injury and infection to this patient's feet and legs, which instruction does the nurse include in teaching? a. He should soak his feet in warm water every day.
  b. He should not go barefoot and should always wear shoes with soles.
  c. The use of commercial keratolytic agents to remove corns and calluses is preferred to cutting off corns and calluses.
  d. He should use a heating pad to warm his feet when they feel cool to the touch.