Author Question: The nurse practitioner discusses breast self-exam with a 78-year-old woman. Which of the following ... (Read 36 times)

fnuegbu

The nurse practitioner discusses breast self-exam with a 78-year-old woman. Which of the following statements if made by the patient indicate understanding of the material?

A) I need to get a mammogram every 5 years..
  B) I will call you if I find any lump in my armpit..
  C) I won't be concerned if my nipple leaks..
  D) My home health nurse will check me..

Question 2

The patient complains that he will never adjust to his colostomy. In this situation, it would be best for the nurse to

a. encourage him to express his concern.
  b. suggest that he discuss his concerns with his physician.
  c. counsel him that everything will be all right.
  d. explain that his concerns will be dealt with when he is taught how to care for his colostomy.

yasmina

Answer to Question 1

B
Lump, hard knot, or thickening inside the breast or underarm area is warning sign of breast cancer. Mammograms are recommended every year for women over 50 years of age. Each woman knows her own body better than a home health nurse does.

Answer to Question 2

A
When a colostomy is performed, the patient or significant other should be able to verbalize and demonstrate understanding of ostomy care to the nurse.