Author Question: An older adult with pain is to be discharged home with a prescription for oral morphine (MSContin) ... (Read 24 times)

cookcarl

An older adult with pain is to be discharged home with a prescription for oral morphine (MSContin) daily for persistent pain. The client historically took an over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for pain.

Which statement by the patient shows the nurse that the client understands the plan?

A) I will be careful to take an antacid with the morphine pill.
  B) I will only take this morphine when the NSAID doesn't work.
  C) I will take MiraLAX and a stool softener to reduce my constipation.
  D) NSAID side effects are not as bad as a morphine pill.

Question 2

An emergency department triage nurse receives a phone call from an older adult who states, I am experiencing pain across my left side. It is tingling, and really hurts when it gets touched. Which of the following response by the nurse is most

A) Do you have the pain right now?
  B) Have you taken any medications?
  C) Notify your primary health care provider today.
  D) When did this pain start?

mbcrismon

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Long-term use of NSAIDs is associated with more severe and life-threatening adverse effects, whereas the most common adverse effect of opioids is constipation, which can be addressed by using laxatives (MiraLAX), stool softeners, fluid, and activity. While the client historically took an NSAID, the MSContin is an extended-release medication that should be taken daily.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
Burning, shooting, knife-like, tingling, and pins and needles are common symptoms of neuropathic pain (in this case shingles). Over half of the cases of shingles occur in older adults. Peripheral neuropathy results in pain along the distribution of peripheral nerves. The other questions are not the priority at this time.