Author Question: The nurse assesses an older woman regarding urinary health. Which of the following interview ... (Read 28 times)

Cooldude101

The nurse assesses an older woman regarding urinary health. Which of the following interview questions are appropriate? (Select all that apply.)

A) Do you ever leak urine?
  B) Do you ever wear pads or protective garments to protect your clothing from wetness?
  C) Do you have any discomfort or burning when you pass urine?
  D) How much alcohol do you drink each day?
  E) When you urinate do you have any difficulty starting the stream or keeping the stream going?

Question 2

A home care nurse evaluated the plan care for the older woman with urge incontinence. Which of the following statements by the client indicates the need for further teaching?

A) I drink enough water, but do it early in the day.
  B) I make certain I don't get constipated.
  C) I purchased a fancy commode for my bedroom.
  D) I still have to get up two times each night to urinate.

aliotak

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A, B, C
Interviewing older woman for urinary elimination should include the questions about signs and symptoms of infection, leaks, and use of pads. The nurse should ask about how much water and other liquids do you drink during the day? But not assume that this fluid included alcohol. When interviewing men, it is appropriate to ask about starting and maintaining a urine stream.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
It is normal for older adults to urinate once or twice during the night. Water should be consumed hours before bedtime, a commode can reduce the time from sensation to void, and constipation can increase incontinence.