Author Question: An 89-year-old woman has developed urinary incontinence. The woman states, When I have to go, I go. ... (Read 56 times)

kaid0807

An 89-year-old woman has developed urinary incontinence. The woman states, When I have to go, I go. I can't make it to the bathroom before it leaks out. For which type of incontinence should the nurse develop a plan of care?

A) Functional incontinence
  B) Urge incontinence
  C) Mixed incontinence
  D) Stress incontinence

Question 2

A 79-year-old man was admitted to the hospital for knee arthroplasty (replacement) due to osteoarthritis. During recovery, he developed postoperative pneumonia and became incontinent of urine while recovering from this serious infection.

While being treated on the acute medicine unit, he remained in bed for several days. This client's urinary incontinence and other health challenges are most likely to result in what nursing diagnosis?

A) Social isolation
  B) Disturbed body image
  C) Anxiety
  D) Impaired skin integrity

TheDev123

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
Urge urinary incontinence is characterized by involuntary urinary leakage due to the inability to hold urine long enough to reach a toilet after perceiving the urge to void. Functional incontinence is urination due to inability to reach appropriate toileting facility. There is no indication that she has functional impairment. Stress incontinence is leakage of urine as a result of an activity that increases abdominal pressure. Mixed incontinence is the involuntary leakage of urine with both the sensation of urgency and activities such as coughing, sneezing, and exertion.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D

Limited mobility coupled with urinary incontinence creates a risk for skin breakdown, especially among older adults. Social isolation, disturbed body image, and anxiety are also realistic possibilities, but these are less likely in an acute care setting.