Author Question: A nurse knows teaching has been effective when the client states the following: A) If my ... (Read 57 times)

azncindy619

A nurse knows teaching has been effective when the client states the following:

A) If my sensitivity to glare decreases and my contrast sensitivity increases, I will be evaluated for cataracts.
  B) I wear sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat when I am in the sun to protect my eyes and prevent the development of cataracts.
  C) Having Alzheimer disease increases one's risk of developing macular degeneration.
  D) If I take ototoxic medications, this will increase my risk for developing cataracts.

Question 2

A nurse is providing an educational program about age-related macular degeneration (AMD) to a group of older adults. Which of the following statements by an older adult indicates the need for further teaching?

A) Smoking is a risk factor for AMD.
  B) Macular degeneration causes a loss of central vision.
  C) People with macular degeneration should have any sudden changes evaluated.
  D) The dry type of macular degeneration occurs rapidly.

rnehls

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
Protecting one's eyes from sunlight is a health promotion intervention for preventing cataracts. Cataract symptoms include increased sensitivity to glare and decreased contrast sensitivity. Individuals with Alzheimer disease may have impaired contrast sensitivity and other visual impairments, but not an increased risk of developing macular degeneration. Ototoxic drugs will damage the auditory nerve; they do not affect the optic nerve or vision.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
The dry type of AMD progresses slowly and does not cause total blindness. The wet type of macular degeneration develops rapidly and causes visual loss. Smoking is a risk factor for macular degeneration. As AMD progresses, it affects central vision. People with AMD should have any sudden changes evaluated.