This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When risk factors to potential suicide have been identified, a nurse must further assess the actual ... (Read 13 times)

rosent76

When risk factors to potential suicide have been identified, a nurse must further assess the actual risk for a suicide attempt.

Which of the following questions would be appropriate for initial assessment to determine the presence or absence of suicidal thoughts in an older adult with risk factors?

A) Under what circumstances would you take your life? Have you ever started to act on a plan to harm yourself?
  B) Do you have a plan for taking your life? What action would you take if you were to harm yourself?
  C) Does your life feel worthless? Do you ever think about escaping from your problems?
  D) Do you think about harming yourself? Do you ever think about committing suicide?

Question 2

A nurse is reviewing the side effects of antidepressants with a group of older adults. Which of the following statements by a member of the group indicates that the nurse's teaching has been effective?

A) I will start on the dose that I will take for life.
  B) Fluoxetine should be given in the evening because it may help me sleep.
  C) I need to maintain my fluid intake while on antidepressant medication.
  D) The length of antidepressant treatment is usually 3 months for a first-time depression.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

smrerig

Answer to Question 1

Ans: C
Suicide assessment is multilevel, and each level of questions depends on the response the client gives to the previous level's questions. Level 1 questions determine the presence or absence of suicidal thoughts. Level 1 questions are indirect; at level 2, they become more direct. Level 2 determines the presence or absence of thoughts about self-harm. Level 3 questions determine whether the client has a realistic suicide plan.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
An increase in fluid intake helps prevent the risk of postural hypotension. Dosages can be increased gradually until maximal therapeutic levels are reached, while observing for adverse effects. Fluoxetine should be given in the afternoon because of agitation. The length of treatment is usually 6 months for a first-time depression.

rosent76

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

parker125

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

Did you know?

More than 4.4billion prescriptions were dispensed within the United States in 2016.

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...
Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library