Author Question: An older adult is admitted to a geriatric unit in the hospital. The nurse in the emergency ... (Read 31 times)

imanialler

An older adult is admitted to a geriatric unit in the hospital. The nurse in the emergency department states that the client is oriented to one only. Which of the following actions should the admitting nurse perform? (Select all that apply.)

A) Have a conversation with the client about challenges to cognitive functioning.
  B) Orient the client to the room, unit, and plan of care.
  C) Post a calendar with dates crossed off.
  D) Reassess orientation status.
  E) Repeat orientation as needed.

Question 2

A nurse performs a psychosocial assessment on an older adult in the hospital. Which of the following statements may suggest low self-esteem?

A) I don't know who's going to take care of my spouse while I'm in the hospital.
  B) I know I have to rely on others for some help to get along in life.
  C) When I was younger, I worked around the clock and now I can't even make it to the toilet.
  D) I'm worried about what's going to happen once I get out of here.

qytan

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B, C, D, E
The nurse understands that the older adult may take time to orient to new surroundings and may need to be given cues to assist them. Temporary memory impairment because of acute medical problems may impact the orientation questions. Asking the client about his or her subjective cognitive challenges may yield meaningful information, but this does not necessarily gauge orientation.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
Lamenting a loss of activities of daily living and function and an increase in dependence may be suggestive of low self-esteem, especially if this is linked with self-worth. Worrying about the future or the care of a loved one may be accurate and warranted and not necessarily indicative of low self-esteem.