This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: What would be the most acceptable intervention for the nurse dealing with a patient with a threat of ... (Read 20 times)

ts19998

What would be the most acceptable intervention for the nurse dealing with a patient with a threat of aspiration?

a. Perform deep tracheal suctioning of the patient every hour.
  b. Place the patient in a side-lying position, with the head turned to the side.
  c. Slightly elevate the foot of the bed, with the patient in a supine position.
  d. Give the patient only thickened fluids.

Question 2

The patient with terminal liver cancer says to the nurse, I'm going to take a long time to die, aren't I? I'm going to get sicker and weaker every day. What would be the best response by the nurse?

a. You will die in 4 to 6 months.
  b. I don't want to hear this kind of negative talk. Make use of the time you have.
  c. We have many medications that can make you feel better.
  d. What concerns you the most about dying?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

matt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Side-lying is a safe position for reducing the threat of aspiration. The supine position is not appropriate for aspiration reduction. Frequent suctioning is stressful to the patient, and fluids are never attempted for an unconscious patient.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Using an open-ended question but being honest about terminal illness creates an interpersonal environment for effective communication.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library