Author Question: The nurse is entering the room of a new 85-year-old female patient to complete the admission ... (Read 28 times)

Engineer

The nurse is entering the room of a new 85-year-old female patient to complete the admission process. How should the nurse initiate the conversation?

a. Good morning, Mary. We need to get some questions answered.
  b. Welcome to 4B, Mrs. Miller. I'd like to get some additional information, if I may.
  c. Hello, sweetie. I'll bet you thought all the admission stuff was finished, didn't you?
  d. I need to finish the admission. What is your name?

Question 2

When entering the room of an older adult to insert a catheter, what would be the most effective approach by the nurse?

a. Touch the patient and say, I need to insert this catheter.
  b. Approach the bed, turn back the cover, and announce, The doctor wants a urine specimen.
  c. Open catheter tray at bedside, turn back the cover, and say, Is it okay to put a tube in your bladder?
  d. Introduce yourself at the door and ask, May I insert this catheter for a urine specimen?

jgranad15

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Using a formal address is a respectful way to start a conversation with a new patient. If the patient prefers to be called something else, he or she can inform the nurse of that desire.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Speaking to the patient from a public space and requesting permission to do a procedure is the best approach. All other options indicate, by the nurse's nonverbal communication, that permission is not really required before insertion.