Author Question: What would be the most helpful response to a 70-year-old postmenopausal woman who asks whether her ... (Read 67 times)

swpotter12

What would be the most helpful response to a 70-year-old postmenopausal woman who asks whether her hormone replacement therapy (HRT) will prevent bone loss?

a. No. HRT is not helpful after the age of 60.
  b. Yes. HRT will prevent bone loss but can cause a stroke, heart attack, or breast cancer.
  c. No. HRT is reliant on some natural estrogen production from the ovaries.
  d. Yes. HRT is a widely accepted therapy for prevention of bone loss.

Question 2

A 70-year-old woman complains, I weigh exactly the same as I did when I wore a size 10 and now I can barely squeeze into a size 16. Which statement by the nurse would most correctly explain the size change to the woman?

a. Metabolism in the older adult creates increased adipose tissue.
  b. Postmenopausal women gain adipose tissue related to loss of calcium.
  c. Decrease in muscle mass is replaced with adipose tissue.
  d. Kyphosis causes a redistribution of weight.

blakeserpa

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
HRT is helpful to prevent bone loss, but the risks of cardiovascular complications and cancer have made the choice of HRT controversial.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Decrease in muscle mass is replaced with adipose tissue, which frequently changes the appearance of the body, but not the weight.