This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement best demonstrates an older adult's success at achieving self-actualization? a. My ... (Read 38 times)

colton

Which statement best demonstrates an older adult's success at achieving self-actualization?

a. My father was an alcoholic, but he did love us.
  b. I always feel safe when my son is visit-ing.
  c. My heart problems are better since I had the surgery.
  d. I've been elected president of my service organization again.

Question 2

Which description would be most characteristic of a self-actualized individual?

a. An economically disadvantaged older black man who regularly checks out books from the local library to read to neighbor-hood children
  b. A wealthy white older woman who is constantly searching for a better laxative
  c. A middle-class white man who was forced into an early retirement and is living in fear of being evicted from his apartment
  d. The older wife of a famous celebrity who travels the world but starves herself and seeks plastic surgery in her quest to fight the physical signs of aging

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Eazy416

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Self-actualization is the highest level of human functioning according to Maslow and would be reflected in the ability to see both the good and the bad in others. Biological or physiological in-tegrity, safety and security, and self-esteem are all part of the hierarchy of human needs but they are not the highest level of human functioning.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The individual described here is displaying three of the characteristics of a self-actualized indi-vidual: altruism, courage, and self-renewal. This individual displays altruism in that he is helping others by reading to the children in the neighborhood and improving their literacy. Despite being economically disadvantaged, he displays courage by conquering despair and giving of himself. He is also displaying self-renewal in that he is connected to the world around him and is giving back to it. The other scenarios listed are all incorrect because the individuals described are all fo-cused on their own personal problems despite having fewer challenges than the economically disadvantaged older black man.

colton

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

irishcancer18

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library