This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An 89-year-old hospitalized female patient tells a nurse, I go to the bathroom really often, but I ... (Read 51 times)

dollx

An 89-year-old hospitalized female patient tells a nurse, I go to the bathroom really often, but I manage this by not drinking too much before I go to bed so I can sleep for the night. The patient has no pain or discomfort with voiding.

The nurse considers this finding to be a:
  a. manifestation of urge incontinence.
  b. manifestation of a urinary tract infection.
  c. normal age-related change in an 89-year-old woman.
  d. manifestation of diabetes.

Question 2

A nurse caring for a cognitively impaired older adult client shows an understanding of the unique clinical symptoms of constipation in this population when: (Select all that apply.)

a. checking documentation to determine if the client has had a bowel movement in the last 24-36 hours.
  b. questioning staff as to whether the client has any unexplained falls in the last few days.
  c. asking the client to name all of his or her children and grandchildren.
  d. requesting that the client's temperature be taken now and again in 4 hours.
  e. reviewing the client's food intake over the last 24-36 hours.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lcapri7

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
A decreased bladder capacity is a normal age-related change. Urinating frequently with no other symptoms is not a manifestation of infection or diabetes. Urge incontinence is not a correct re-sponse as the patient is not experiencing incontinence.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C, D, E
It is important to note that alterations in cognitive status, incontinence, increased temperature, poor appetite, or unexplained falls may be the only clinical symptoms of constipation in the cog-nitively impaired or frail older person. Frequency of defecation is not necessarily an indicator of constipation since it is such a personal characteristic.

dollx

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ultraflyy23

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library