This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is conducting an assessment of an older patient's eyes. The nurse expects to see which of ... (Read 38 times)

meagbuch

A nurse is conducting an assessment of an older patient's eyes. The nurse expects to see which of the following normal age-related changes of the external eye? (Select all that apply.)

a. The eyelids are less elastic and droopy
  b. The eyes are very dry
  c. The eyelids may not close completely
  d. There is a loss of eyelashes
  e. The lower lid may be turned outward

Question 2

An older client reports to a nurse, My daughter says there is something wrong with my hearing. I am not so sure. Yes, I have some problems hearing, but I am 78 years old. What does she ex-pect?

I noticed that at Christmas dinner, with all the racket around, I had some trouble. I think it is that my granddaughters mumble a lot, just like all young people. I guess it has been getting steadily worse; it seems to be both ears as well. Based on the client's description, the nurse suspects which of the following?
  a. Presbycusis
  b. Otosclerosis
  c. Tinnitus
  d. A perforated eardrum

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

katieost

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, C, E
Normal age-related changes in the external eye include a loss of elasticity causing drooping. Eyes become drier, and the eyelids may not close completely. Decreases in orbital muscle strength may result in entropion, the outward turning of the lower lid. Loss of eyelashes is not a normal age-related change.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Presbycusis is a type of sensorineural hearing loss. It is slow and progressive and often ignored by older adults and considered normal aging. Symptoms include difficulty filtering background noise and understanding women and children's voices. Individuals often accuse people of mum-bling. Often, it is recognized by others first, before the affected person notices it. Otosclerosis is a cause of conductive hearing loss, as is a perforated eardrum. Tinnitus is a perception of sound in one or both ears where no external sound is present.

meagbuch

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Wow, this really help

mcarey591

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library