This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Factors that affect the pharmacokinetics of lipophilic medications in older adults include: a. ... (Read 21 times)

wrbasek0

Factors that affect the pharmacokinetics of lipophilic medications in older adults include:

a. greater adipose tissue ratio to body mass.
  b. decreased total body water.
  c. increased glomerular filtration rate.
  d. increased creatinine clearance.

Question 2

When a client asks, What could be causing my triglycerides to be so low; I'm really careful about my diet? the nurse responds by asking the client: (Select all that apply.)

a. Is your type 2 diabetes well managed?
  b. Have you ever been diagnosed with renal failure?
  c. Do you have a history of pancreatitis?
  d. Are you on medication for hyperthyroid-ism?
  e. Could you tell me how you are careful about your diet?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joewallace

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Older adults have a higher ratio of adipose (fat) tissue where lipophilic (fat-soluble) medications can be stored thus resulting in a potential for an accumulation of the medication and potentially fatal overdoses. Older adults have a decrease in lean body mass and an increase in fat. An in-creased body mass would not affect lipophilic medication absorption. Older adults have a de-creased glomerular filtration rate, which begins to decline as early as age 25. Older adults have a decrease in overall kidney function.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D, E
Abnormally low triglyceride levels are suggestive of malnutrition or hyperthyroidism. Reasons for elevated levels include chronic renal failure and poorly controlled diabetes. Severely elevated triglyceride levels (greater than 2000 mg/dL) are a strong risk factor for pancreatitis.

wrbasek0

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bblaney

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library