This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A home care nurse is caring for an older patient from a different culture who is bed-bound and high ... (Read 19 times)

future617RT

A home care nurse is caring for an older patient from a different culture who is bed-bound and high risk for development of a pressure ulcer.

The nurse discusses the plan of care with the patient's daughter, emphasizing the importance of turning every 2 hours and posts a turning clock on the wall. When the nurse returns later in the week, the turning clock has been removed, and the patient's daughter reports that she turns her mother occasionally. She states, I am taking very good care of my mother. You just don't un-derstand; our ways do not involve doing things on schedules. The best response by the nurse is:
  a. You must follow my guidelines and turn her every 2 hours, or I will not be able to take care of her.
  b. I understand that you value your culture, but culture cannot stop you from provid-ing good care to your mother.
  c. I understand that you care very much for your mother. Perhaps caring for her is too much for you.
  d. How can we best work together to pro-vide the best care for your mother?

Question 2

Regarding health care disparities, it is true that older adults of color have:

a. equal risk factors for vulnerability as do all older adults.
  b. equal risk factors for vulnerability as do the young adults of color.
  c. increased risk factors for vulnerability if they are female.
  d. an increase in risk factors for vulnerability if care is provided by public facilities.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Joy Chen

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
In providing cross-cultural care it is important that the nurse work with the patient and family and listen carefully and find a way to include the values and beliefs of the patient in the plan of care.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Older females of color have an added risk factor for vulnerability (gender) than do males of the same age and ethnic group. Ethnicity is an added factor for vulnerability. Age is an additional risk factor for vulnerability. Health care disparities are found across a wide range of clinical set-tings.

future617RT

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Excellent

bdobbins

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library