This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older female patient tells a nurse the following: In my culture, women are the silent partner in ... (Read 12 times)

Davideckstein7

An older female patient tells a nurse the following: In my culture, women are the silent partner in the family. Men make all of the decisions. However, when we came to the United States, all that changed.

I became an American. I am in charge of my family just like my husband. This is an example of:
  a. enculturation.
  b. acculturation.
  c. ethnicity.
  d. culture competence.

Question 2

Gerotranscendence theory posits that: (Select all that apply.)

a. older adults withdraw from society in or-der to allow the transfer of power to younger individuals.
  b. older adults withdraw from society in or-der to give the individual an opportunity for self-reflection and self-exploration.
  c. time and superficial relationships become less important.
  d. material possessions have less meaning.
  e. status and value of elders is lost because their contributions are no longer valued.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brittiany.barnes

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Enculturation is defined as cultural beliefs passed down from one generation to the next. Accul-turation is the process by which persons from one culture adapt to another. Ethnicity is defined as the cultural group that one identifies with. Cultural competence involves stepping outside our own biases and understanding that others bring a different set of values.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C, D
Disengagement theory posits that older adults withdraw from society in order to allow the trans-fer of power to younger adults. Gerotranscendence theory posits similarly that older adults with-draw from society, but for different reasons. These reasons include giving the individual the op-portunity for self-reflection and exploration. Time, material possessions, and superficial relation-ships have less meaning. The modernization theory posits that the status and value of elders is lost because their contributions are no longer valued.

Davideckstein7

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Wow, this really help

ASDFGJLO

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

Between 1999 and 2012, American adults with high total cholesterol decreased from 18.3% to 12.9%

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library