Author Question: A nurse talks with the caregiver of a combat veteran with severe traumatic brain injury The ... (Read 14 times)

faduma

A nurse talks with the caregiver of a combat veteran with severe traumatic brain injury

The caregiver says, I don't know how much longer I can do it. My whole life is consumed with taking care of my partner. Which resource should the nurse suggest?
  a. Al-Anon
  b. Pastoral care
  c. Meals on Wheels
  d. Multifamily support group

Question 2

An unconscious patient is brought to the emergency department with a suspected heroin overdose. Which vital signs support the suspected diagnosis?

a. Blood pressure (BP) 200/100 mm Hg; pulse (P) 92 beats/min; respirations (R) 22 breaths/min
  b. BP 150/85 mm Hg; P 76 beats/min; R 28 breaths/min
  c. BP 110/70 mm Hg; P 84 beats/min; R 20 breaths/min
  d. BP 70/40 mm Hg; P 100 beats/min; R 10 breaths/min

kaillie

Answer to Question 1

D
A multifamily support group will provide education, support, and socialization. These services support the needs of this caregiver. Pastoral care will offer support but not education and socialization. There is no indication of substance abuse or problems with meal preparation.

Answer to Question 2

D
Heroin is a CNS depressant. It causes respiratory depression and lowered BP, with a compensatory rise in the pulse rate. Only the correct option follows this pattern.