This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older adult with dementia describes a pencil as that thing that writes and a water faucet as the ... (Read 46 times)

sammy

An older adult with dementia describes a pencil as that thing that writes and a water faucet as the thing you turn. The nurse documents which problem?

a. Echolalia
  b. Apraxia
  c. Agnosia
  d. Amnesia

Question 2

A patient in the emergency department says, I took a drug that makes me feel like I'm outside my body looking at the world. Colors move like music. The nurse should assess that the patient

a. probably has schizophreniform disorder.
  b. has probably ingested a hallucinogen.
  c. is experiencing formication.
  d. is using confabulation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

af

Answer to Question 1

C
Agnosia is defined as failure to recognize or identify objects despite intact sensory function. Apraxia refers to inability to carry out motor activities. Echolalia is repeating what others say. Amnesia refers to learning and recalling information.

Answer to Question 2

B
Symptoms of hallucinogen use include depersonalization, loss of reality, hallucinations, synesthesia, panic, paranoid thinking, and loss of contact with reality. Data given in the scenario do not support a schizophreniform disorder, formication (abnormal crawling sensations under the skin), or confabulation.

sammy

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

carojassy25

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library