Author Question: A patient says, I felt good from drinking a six-pack a few months ago. Now I need a few extra cans ... (Read 25 times)

maegan_martin

A patient says, I felt good from drinking a six-pack a few months ago. Now I need a few extra cans to get the same high. The nurse assesses this phenomenon as related to

a. tolerance.
  b. withdrawal.
  c. co-dependency.
  d. abstinence syndrome.

Question 2

An older adult patient with depression is prescribed a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Nursing assessment should include careful collection of information regarding

a. other prescribed medications and over-the-counter remedies used.
  b. evidence of pseudo-parkinsonism or tardive dyskinesia.
  c. history of psoriasis and other skin disorders.
  d. history of diarrhea and electrolyte imbalances.

Zebsrer

Answer to Question 1

A
Tolerance refers to the need for increasing amounts of a substance to achieve the same effects. The other terms are not related to needing more of a substance to achieve the same effect.

Answer to Question 2

A
Drug interactions, both prescription and over-the-counter, can be problematic for the geriatric patient taking an SSRI. Careful collection of information is important. The distracters do not pose problems with SSRI drugs.