Author Question: An older adult patient's urinary incontinence is being addressed by prompted voiding. The nurse ... (Read 33 times)

jho37

An older adult patient's urinary incontinence is being addressed by prompted voiding. The nurse instructs all ancillary staff to do which of the following? (Select all that apply.)

a. Provide only minimal fluids after 7 PM.
  b. Keep the patient on the toilet until voiding occurs.
  c. Allow the patient to void at times other than those scheduled.
  d. Offer toileting during the night only when the patient is awake.
  e. Encourage the patient to toilet himself.

Question 2

A patient has Mnire disease. What statement by the patient indicates a good ability to manage the condition?

a. Because it's from dehydration, I can in-crease salt in my food.
  b. There are no medications, so I just have to learn to live with it.
  c. If I get dizzy I should lie down imme-diately and hold my head still.
  d. Because I have asthma, I cannot take any medications for Mnire disease.

snackralk

Answer to Question 1

C, D
The goal is to increase a patient's awareness of the need to void and, it is hoped, to increase the frequency of self-initiated toileting. Patients are approached on a regular schedule, asked if they are wet or dry, and then prompted to toilet. A patient should never be forced to toilet or repri-manded for failing to toilet appropriately. Self-initiated toileting should not be discouraged. To relieve the stress that can occur because of sleep disruption for both caregiver and patient, toilet-ing protocols can be modified during the nighttime hours.

Answer to Question 2

C
If the patient gets dizzy, he or she should lie down and hold the head still. A low-salt diet may help with fluid retention in the ear. There are several medications for Menire disease, but be-cause of the anticholinergic properties of some of them, people with asthma, glaucoma, or BPH should be monitored closely.