Author Question: A patient wants to use an herbal preparation to help with decreased sleep. What response by the ... (Read 11 times)

TVarnum

A patient wants to use an herbal preparation to help with decreased sleep. What response by the nurse is best?

a. There are no research studies on these herbal preparations.
  b. Why don't you try exercise during the day first?
  c. Have you had a physical exam any time recently?
  d. Why do you want to use an herbal prod-uct for insomnia?

Question 2

An older patient has developed moderate muscle weakness on the left side as a result of a cerebral vascular accident (CVA, stroke). The nurse determines the patient possesses the heal-thiest view of self-wellness when heard stating

a. I'll certainly miss hiking, but I guess I'll find something else to do outdoors.
  b. I was getting too old to safely practice karate.
  c. I've decided to take up oil painting be-cause it's difficult for me to knit.
  d. It was getting difficult to work in the garden anyway.

coreycathey

Answer to Question 1

C
Sleep disturbances, especially new ones, may signify a physical illness. Before simply taking medications or supplements to treat the sleep disorder, the patient should have a physical exam to rule out a physical cause for the problem. The other statements are not appropriate because for patient safety, he or she should have a checkup.

Answer to Question 2

C
After learning and mastering the requirements imposed by the condition, older adults often view themselves as well. With a wellness-in the-foreground perspective, the disease is only one component of their life and is not their identity, so they substitute lost abilities and resulting pleasures with others.