Author Question: The nurse is discussing an older adult's past marital history during the admission assessment. The ... (Read 31 times)

rachel9

The nurse is discussing an older adult's past marital history during the admission assessment. The nurse can best determine that the patient has a healthy ability to cope with emotional stressors when the patient states

a. After my husband died, I managed to raise and educate our two children by myself.
  b. Since my husband's death, I've grown even closer to my sisters.
  c. It's been hard since my husband died, but you manage to go on somehow.
  d. After my husband died, I married a good man who was there for me and my child-ren.

Question 2

Adult children of a patient beginning to show early signs of cognitive decline share with the nurse that they are reluctant to discuss financial issues because the patient was always private about money matters

The nurse responds most therapeutically when suggesting:
  a. Maybe it would less threatening to your father if a lawyer spoke to him about the matter.
  b. Assure your dad you are only interested in making the financial arrangements he wants.
  c. A social worker can discuss the financial aspects of long-term care with your dad.
  d. This is a conversation that has to occur in order for your father to receive appropriate care.

dmurph1496

Answer to Question 1

A
This pattern encompasses the patient's reserve and capacity to resist challenges to self-integrity and his or her ability to manage difficult situations. The ability to view herself as a success in fulfilling her responsibilities as a mother is evidence of healthy stress coping skills.

Answer to Question 2

B
Finances may be the last subject that parents want to talk about with their children, but it is also the most important. Children should convey that they do not want to know how much their par-ents have or might leave in their will; rather, they want to make sure there is a current and com-plete plan. A lawyer or social worker can assist in this process, but unless the patient believes the children are acting in his or her best interests, the other professionals will likely encounter resis-tance as well. Telling the family the conversation has to occur is paternalistic.