Author Question: The nurse caring for an older patient who resides in an assisted living facility is asked to obtain ... (Read 19 times)

Sportsfan2111

The nurse caring for an older patient who resides in an assisted living facility is asked to obtain and witness the patient's signature on a living will document. The nurse responds most appro-priately when stating

a. I will, because such a document is so valuable to the patient's plan of care.
  b. I'll ask the patient's family if they agree that the patient should sign the docu-ment.
  c. First I need to discuss the purpose of this document with the patient.
  d. I'm sorry but I cannot ethically do that.

Question 2

The nurse working in a long-term care facility used the developmental theory of aging in practice. In caring for a frail, nearly bed bound patient, how can the nurse use this theory?

a. Engage the patient in intellectually stimulating activities.
  b. Encourage the patient to participate in chair exercises.
  c. Ensure that the patient participates in all the group activities.
  d. Give the patient small chores to do for the facility.

TDubDCFL

Answer to Question 1

D
It is not permissible for the nurse to secure the patient's signature or to witness the patient's sig-nature on a living will document. Generally speaking, an employee or owner of a facility in which the patient resides cannot witness this document.

Answer to Question 2

A
In this theory, being active can mean physical or intellectual activity. The nurse can engage the patient in intellectually stimulating activities that allows the person a sense of satisfaction. The other options all call for physical activity, which the patient may or may not be able to perform.