Author Question: A postmenopausal black woman who has been experiencing uterine bleeding tells the nurse, I expect ... (Read 22 times)

cdr_15

A postmenopausal black woman who has been experiencing uterine bleeding tells the nurse, I expect I'll need a total hysterectomy because when my sister had this problem that's what she had done

The nurse recognizes that this woman belongs to a cultural subgroup whose health care beliefs are most influenced by the:
  a. biomedical model.
  b. magico-religious model.
  c. balance/harmony model.
  d. personal experience.

Question 2

An older patient is admitted for bacterial pneumoni

a. The only abnormal assessment values include a heart rate of 102 beats per minute, slight cyanosis of the nail beds, and mild confusion. The patient's daughter questions the possibility of pneumonia stating, He isn't coughing or having any difficulty breathing. The nurse responds most appropriately by saying:
  a. We are lucky to determine the problem in its early stage.
  b. Respiratory problems develop only after the infection is well established.
  c. People your dad's age often lack the muscular strength to cough.
  d. Older adults frequently lack the typical signs of a respiratory infection.

kswal303

Answer to Question 1

A
The patient shows a tendency to identify with the biomedical model, which views the body as a functioning machine. When a part gives out or is functioning abnormally, traditional Western medical treatment is sought and expected. The magico-religious models believe that health is a reward from a higher power. The balance/harmony models state that illness is the result of a state of imbalance in body energies. Personal experience influences all of these models.

Answer to Question 2

D
The characteristic presentation of illness in older adults is more commonly one of blunted or atypical signs and symptoms. Stating, we are lucky to determine the problem does not give any useful information. Respiratory problems are often present early on in younger people. The lack of coughing is not caused by weakness.