This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An important trait seen in a nurse who is effective in caring for the terminally ill is emotional ... (Read 25 times)

hubes95

An important trait seen in a nurse who is effective in caring for the terminally ill is emotional maturity. Which statement by a nurse shows this maturity?

a. I cry for a client when I'm alone but never when I'm with them.
  b. My job is to create a 'good death' for my clients.
  c. This is a stressful job and it isn't something just any nurse can do.
  d. My clients are the best part of this emotionally draining job.

Question 2

A 69-year-old patient in the geriatric clinic has an annual physical examination and a complete blood count and serum electrolytes are drawn. While the physical examination was uneventful the laboratory results show an elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN).

a. Ask that the test be rerun since the client showed no physical signs of renal failure.
  b. Review the client's medication list since BUN can be affected by many spe-cific medications.
  c. Instruct the client on collecting a 24-hour urine specimen for a more detailed analysis.
  d. Assure the client that an elevated BUN is normal in older adults.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Gabe

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Emotional maturity requires that a nurse must be comfortable with their own lives or at least be able to set aside their own sadness and grief while working with that of others. The re-sponsibility of a good death is not the nurse's alone. Being able to effectively and compas-sionately care for a dying client and a grieving family while managing one's own grief is vi-tal.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
BUN can be elevated as a result of certain medication therapies and so the nurse should as-sess for this possibility. An elevated BUN is not diagnostic of renal failure alone and will not necessarily be reflected in physical symptoms. A 24-hour urine sample will not generally done to determine BUN levels. An elevated BUN is not expected as a normal part of aging. Renal functioning decreases substantially with aging, but in most cases the body is able to compensate adequately with only slight increases in laboratory findings.

hubes95

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ghepp

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library